Racked is no longer publishing. Thank you to everyone who read our work over the years. The archives will remain available here; for new stories, head over to Vox.com, where our staff is covering consumer culture for The Goods by Vox. You can also see what we’re up to by signing up here.
Need a summer apartment refresh? So you can do a little Logan Circle shopping from your desk this morning, we've reached out to two favorite 14th Street stores, asking them to share a splurge, a steal, and a bestseller. Both Vastu and Room & Board chimed in with furniture and accessories that D.C. shoppers are buying for their balconies, living rooms, and more. Just click on the images for captions and prices.
Room and Board: 1840 14th Street, NW, (202) 729-8300
- The Bestseller: Customers at Room & Board love the striking, mid-century inspired Callan Chair ($1,699). The contoured seat and back
- The Steal: Room & Board's shiny Shimmer Pillow ($69) has a hint of metallic, and goes with absolutely everything. Find it in colors like citron, silver, blush, go
- The Splurge: The outdoor Crest Swivel Chair ($799) is small enough to fit on pint-size balconies, but big on comfort. It includes a swivel base and dura
1829 14th Street NW, (202) 234-8344
- The Bestseller: The Ramses sofa collection is Vastu's most popular due to its slim footprint and its sleek contemporary design. A compact 32” frame depth, low profile back, and grid-tufted seat add to the tailored appearance of this sofa. "T
- The Steal: After a long hiatus, Herman Miller has re-released their famous fiberglass shell chairs, and the company has also introduced a new upholstered shell option to add more comfort to the ergonomically molded seat. "These chairs are a bargain
- The Splurge: A high-quality rug can make a huge difference in a room, and Vastu carries Delos Rugs, a made-to-order hand-knotted rug company that offers rugs that clients can custom colorize or buy in any size or shape. "All too often, rugs are lef