Racked is no longer publishing. Thank you to everyone who read our work over the years. The archives will remain available here; for new stories, head over to Vox.com, where our staff is covering consumer culture for The Goods by Vox. You can also see what we’re up to by signing up here.
- Images via Getty
- Anna Wintour
- Bradley Cooper and Suki Waterhouse
- Cosmopolitan EIC Joanna Coles apparently told the Post she hoped her dress “wasn’t too slutty. . . . But it’s
- Mindy Kaling
- Julia Louis-Dreyfuss and her dad, William
- Stephen Colbert
- Mary J. Blige
- Mary J. Blige's performance
At yesterday's state dinner with French President Francois Hollande, First Lady Michelle Obama went with a regal "liberty blue" ball gown from a fashion industry veteran, Venezuelan-American designer Carolina Herrera. Yeah, America! "For all the dress's floor-length, glittering formality, it is neither stuffy nor overwrought. It exudes a confident casualness that is the hallmark of American style," writes fashion critic Robin Givhan in the Washington Post. Besides Michelle's Herrera moment, plenty of celebrities graced the dinner. Behold the following great moments in diplomacy: Stephen Colbert sits at the head table with the Obamas and Hollande! Bradley Cooper arrives with girlfriend Suki Waterhouse! Julia Louis Dreyfus chats with the real veep Joe Biden! Cosmopolitan editor-in-chief Joanna Coles tweets it up with Mindy Kaling! See what everyone wore after the jump.
· Michelle Obama lifts up U.S. designers, elegantly around her shoulders [WaPo]
· Fashion from the state dinner: Joanna Coles, Mindy Kaling and more [WaPo]
· Bradley Cooper, Stephen Colbert among dinner guests [Politico]