Racked is no longer publishing. Thank you to everyone who read our work over the years. The archives will remain available here; for new stories, head over to Vox.com, where our staff is covering consumer culture for The Goods by Vox. You can also see what we’re up to by signing up here.
Welcome to Party Bites, in which fancy people at glamorous parties answer our probing questions.
- Amanda Nakfa, @_nakfa and Ellie Webster, @ellienatasha
- Mel Burgos, editor of Rock Yo Rizos
- Danielle Bolger, Public Relations Assistant for Bloomingdale's, and Catherine Calabrese, Vice President of Marketing for Potomac Pilates
- Roger McShane, editor for The Economist
- Christine Archer, @chr1st1nearcher, and Lindsay Giffin, @boldcatlady
- Andrea Rodway, photographer
- Sharon Yang, @SharonBYang
On Saturday, Scott Schuman braved the cold for a Q&A session and book signing outside at the Arts in the Mix festival at Monroe Street Market, a new mixed-use development in Brookland featuring housing, artist studios, and retail. And 100 fans of Schuman's work as The Sartorialist learned a bit about the street style photographer's portrait process, including the following facts: he's down to zero employees at the moment, he really likes Instagram and thinks that using anything other than a cell phone camera is cheating, he digs traveling by bike to scout a new city, he just went to Kiev and is thinking about traveling to Manila, and he wears Gap jeans.
And Schuman says that there has to be something special for subject to make it to The Satorialist blog, beyond just being well-dressed — whether it's the perfect light or a great background. Or maybe a stand-out accessory, we thought, like the brilliant blue turban featured on the cover of Schuman's latest book, Closer. So we asked a few stylish folks at Monroe Street Market a simple question: what's your go-to accessory? And Scott helped us out by taking his own portrait for Racked DC. Yep, that's a genuine The Sartorialist selfie.
· The Sartorialist Is a lot Like Victoria Beckham, According to Garance Dore [Racked]
· All Party Bites posts [Racked DC]
· The Sartorialist [Official Site]